This course introduces you to the world of travel writing. In it, you'll learn how to take your story and craft a publishable story with all the elements readers, and editors, are looking for. You'll identify and develop your theme. You'll learn how to plot your story--that is, how to "move it along." You'll learn how to create scenes and stack them in an order that creates a narrative arc. And for the most fun, you'll learn how to assert your voice, your perspective, and enrich your story with research, dialogue, flashbacks, and sensual detail.
These are the mechanics of good writing, not just travel writing.
This is a self-paced online course with add-ons such as special niche workshops and group/community workshops. See PRICING below to enroll.
Here's what you'll learn:
- Find out why you might want to write your story or book in present tense--kinda helps with flashbacks!--instead of past tense. But there are lots of reasons to choose past tense, too.
- Enrich your writing with research, opinion, a sense of place, and sensual detail. These things might not emerge in the first couple of drafts of your stories, but you'll have fun editing them in.
- Learn how to write in cinematic scenes, helping an imaginary director making decisions on setting, characters, and camera angle.
- Work on your strongest story first--you know--that one you tell around the campfire, and build from there.
- And finally, you'll learn what an author or writer platform is and the basics of publishing in magazines, ebooks, and print books, not to mention agents and publishing houses.
Dip your toe in the ocean of opportunity for travel writing and enjoy!
VIRTUAL TRAVEL WRITING COMMUNITY
Enrollment open for the June 15 - Sept 15, 2021 VTWG Sessions
THREE MONTHS OF INSPIRATION, MOTIVATION, AND ACCOUNTABILITY!
See add-on pricing plans below.
YOUR MOTO DIARIES
This workshop includes the Travel Writing Online Course and the Virtual Travel Writing Group community critique-workshop sessions. See one-time payment and 3-payment options, below.
If you're a current member of the Your Moto Diaries community, continue the momentum and join again for a discount. Please contact me for more info.
Get started now!
REMEMBER * RE-LIVE * SHARE!
Carla King is the founder of the Self-Publishing Boot Camp educational series of books and workshops. With a background in technical writing and a passion for travel, she started self-publishing her bicycle and motorcycle adventure travel books in 1994. Since then, Carla has helped many others in their writing and publishing journeys.
King has been known as a leader in self-publishing education since 2010 with Self-Pub Boot Camp courses and books and her Destination Published concierge services. She organizes the self-publishing and technology track for the San Francisco Writers Conference, works as an industry advisor, speaks at publishing conferences, podcasts, and other events.
As the author of many books (on adventure travel) and as a publishing consultant, her firsthand knowledge makes King one of the most trusted guides in the industry. Her Self-Publishing Boot Camp Guide for Authors is the most comprehensive how-to manual for independent authors today. Authors and publishers around the world also count on her Consumer’s Guide for Self-Publishers with reviews of the tools and services that help independent authors publish.